Mon, 23 Sept|
Black Mothers & Childbirth Conference
SOLD OUT! Due to high demand, the Conference will be Live Streamed - please register in order to get the live stream link.
Time & Location
23 Sept 2019, 09:30 – 16:00
Wellcome Collection, 183 Euston Rd, London NW1 2BE, UK
About The Event
The first conference on ‘action to reduce the disparate deaths and damage to Black mothers and babies in England' will be held at The Wellcome Collection, Euston on the 23 September from 9:30 - 4:00.
Entitled “A Reproductive Sankofa” it features Professor Dorothy Roberts (author of Killing the Black Body) and Midwife Jennie Joseph (creator of The JJ Way). Its purpose is:
• To raise awareness of social, economic, political and environmental factors that influence maternal and perinatal mortality in black women in the UK.
• To exchange knowledge regarding midwifery practice from projects which have achieved reduction in maternal and perinatal mortality; in particular the most vulnerable groups.
• To examine how midwifery practice can be improved
• To enable the voices and experiences of black women service users to be heard.
• To begin the work of realising and embedding the factors which will cause a step change in maternity outcomes for black mothers and babies.
Please see the Awarding Body's web page: https://www.iolanthe.org/latest/groundbreaking-conference-action-reduce-mortality-black-women-and-babies
The issues have been discussed on Womens Hour recently: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0006sg5
and on Galaxyafiwe radio: https://m.mixcloud.com/AfrikaSpeaks/can-we-be-liberated-if-black-maternal-mortality-rates-are-so-high-130519/ (Starting at 52 seconds in)
The conference is aimed at Black women users of maternity services, Midwives, researchers involved in research on perinatal mortality, student midwives, midwifery lecturers, policymakers, maternity service managers, maternity service planners, health service commissioners, health and social care professionals/workers.
LIVE STREAM LINK
This event has been Sold Out! The only way to attend now is via Live Stream. Select this form of ticket to be sent the link to the livestream when the event goes live.